Happy first week of summer!! It is truly hard to believe how fast the time flies by!
On Tuesday, we spent most of the day checking out the ancient woodlands for our upcoming Nature Therapy walks in nature, which we are very excited about! Despite the poring rain, we managed to cover the locations we intended to, and we actually found out that there are lots of benefits of going in the woods when it is damp! Here are just some of them:
- aromatherapy. As soon as we went out of the car in the woods, we could feel the wonderful aroma penetrating the air. It is amazing how much more you can actually smell when it is raining! You can even smell the grass and the leaves on the trees, which is difficult in dry conditions. And after the rain, the air is very fresh – smelling the after-rain air is one of the best sensations I know!
- humidity is good for skin. Indeed, in humid climate it feels like the skin is able to “breath” deeper – humid and warm air allows pores on the skin to open up more and “breath” more fully.
- relaxation. We felt so relaxed after our walks that we went straight to sleep once we finished them! There is something very relaxing about the sound of rain dropping on the leaves and on the water… Makes you feel very much at peace, mindful and relaxed. A very serene feeling!
- vivid colors. It seems like everything rejuvenates in rain – the greens are greener, the yellows are yellower, blues are fresher… I find the colors are the most vivid in rain – it is like someone turned up the “contrast and opacity” setting in real life! You feel more alert, alive, mindful. It is a very beautiful and magical experience!
- And once the rain is over, and the sun is out… It is one of the most beautiful scenes! Everything goes quiet for a while, and then the birds all start singing, creating an unbelievable choir of joy and happiness. And all the plants seem to bloom and shine from inside – cleansed, fed, and rejuvenated by the rain. Extraordinary experience!
Our advise would be to take all the prejudice, fears, and excuses away, and just indulge in the magic of transformation happening in nature when it is raining. You can get waterproof clothes (jackets, trousers, shoes) in most sports clothes shops – make sure you get waterproof shoes with good grip (be cautious on slippery surfaces though), and dress warmly if it is a bit chilly. You can also take an umbrella with you. And, being fully equipped, just go out and enjoy! Do not care about the dampness, raindrops on your face, water pools on the path – just be in the present moment, observe the colors, smells, and sounds, listen to the music of the drops in the rain. And, if you are patient enough to stay in nature until the rain stops, you will be lucky to see the nature transform – maybe, you will feel that transformation happening inside you as well!
Do you enjoy walks in rain? Where do you usually go? What do you usually observe in nature when it is raining? Do you take any precaution matters when walking in the rain?
We would love to hear you thoughts!